Challenging Felony Charges & Protecting Your Rights
Under California law, unlawful acts are classified as infractions, misdemeanors, or felonies. Of the three categories, felonies are by far the most serious. A felony conviction can result in a sentence of up to one year in jail or years in state prison.
If you have been arrested and charged with a felony, it is crucial to consult with an experienced and knowledgeable Santa Barbara criminal defense lawyer. The attorney you choose to represent you can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
At Andrade Law Offices, we have successfully defended thousands of criminal cases since opening our practice in 1987, including a wide range of felony offenses. Steven R. Andrade has more than three decades of trial experience and is recognized as one of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers. Attorneys Steven Andrade is a former prosecutor who intimately understands both sides of criminal proceedings.
For a free consultation, call our Santa Barbara offices at (805) 962.4944.
Felony Crimes in California
Many states assign crimes to classes, such as a Class E felony, and fix the penalties for each class of crime. In California, however, penalties are designated individually for each crime.
Some crimes can be either misdemeanors or felonies, depending on how they are charged and how judges treat the conviction. These crimes are known as “wobblers” and California has a long list of them. The facts of the case and the defendant's criminal history are factors that can affect how crime is treated. Examples of wobbler offenses include grand theft, commercial burglary, receiving stolen property, and DUI causing injury to another person.
California's Three Strikes sentencing law assigns repeat felony offenders with longer terms in prison. A defendant found guilty of a serious or violent felony for the second time may receive a sentence that is more than twice as long as it would have been otherwise. A defendant found guilty of two or more serious or violent felonies could be sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.
How a Santa Barbara Felony Defense Attorney Can Help
As former prosecutors, our defense attorneys understand both sides of the court system. This experience gives our team a deep understanding of criminal cases. We apply this knowledge to the felonies we defend, helping our clients achieve the best possible outcome even in the most serious of cases.
Among many other crimes, we have successfully defended clients against felony charges of:
- Murder and attempted murder
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Drug possession and sale
- Receiving stolen property
- Vehicular manslaughter
- DUI (driving under the influence)
- Gang-related offenses
We have obtained many successful results for clients facing criminal charges. Examples of our verdicts and dismissals include:
- Second-degree murder – not guilty verdict
- Possession of drugs for sale – not guilty verdict
- DUI vehicular manslaughter (.09% BAC) – not guilty verdict
- Felony embezzlement – jury deadlocked – case dismissed
- Receiving stolen property – after evidence was suppressed (illegal search) – case dismissed
- Attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon – the judge found self-defense – case dismissed
- Felony assault with gang enhancement – the judge found self-defense – case dismissed
- Robbery – judge disbelieved police informant – case dismissed
Depending on the facts in your case, we will prepare a thorough strategy for your defense and aggressively pursue a favorable resolution of your case. Possible defense options may include:
- Motion to dismiss for illegal arrest or search
- Motion to exclude improperly obtained admissions
- Reduction of charges from a felony to a misdemeanor
- Dismissal of charges through civil compromise (paying restitution to the victim)
- Taking a defensible case to trial
- Plea negotiation with the prosecutor
Our firm offers a free consultation to prospective clients facing criminal charges in Santa Barbara County and across Southern California. We also provide an affordable payment plan option for our clients. We have the skill and dedication to aggressively fight your criminal charges.
For an aggressive defense against felony charges in the Santa Barbara area, contact Andrade Law Offices today!