Involve a Santa Barbara Personal Injury Lawyer
Hand and wrist injuries are a terrible hindrance to performing daily activities. The routine tasks of dressing, driving, writing, and using a phone become more challenging without the full use of one's hands. A serious hand or wrist injury caused by a car accident or fall can disrupt your life and leave you unable to work for a period of time.
If your hand or wrist was injured as the result of another person's negligence, the legal team at Andrade Law Offices can help you seek full compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other costs. Our knowledgeable Santa Barbara personal injury attorneys have more than 40 years of combined legal experience and have won hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and awards for the injured.
Common Hand & Wrist Injuries
- Fractures or breaks: Symptoms of a fracture include swelling, a misshapen finger or deformed-appearing area of the hand, stiffness, and bruising. Fractures and breaks are treatable with immobilization and/or surgery, and you should recover within several months, depending on the severity of the injury. However, fractures and breaks sometimes involve complications such as osteoarthritis or nerve damage, which can lengthen the recovery time.
- Wrist sprains: A sprain is a stretch or tear of a ligament. Symptoms include swelling, pain, and tenderness. Mild sprains can be treated at home with ice and rest, but more severe injuries may require immobilization or surgery, with a full recovery typically taking several months.
- Wrist tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome: Since these are overuse injuries, most patients benefit from reducing the activity performed with the hand or wrist. Anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy, and cortisone injections are sometimes necessary to speed recovery. If these gentle measures don't work, surgery may be necessary. Even in the case of surgery, recovery from overuse injuries is usually gradual.
Hand & Wrist Injuries in Falls & Auto Accidents
If you were the victim of an accident, your hand or wrist may have been injured in one of the following common ways:
- Using your hand to catch yourself in a slip-and-fall accident. Falls are the most common cause of broken wrists, with the larger bone in the forearm commonly fractured or broken. If you slip on a broken stair or wet floor, it is an instinctive reaction to put out your hand to break the fall. Unfortunately, this often results in a serious fracture. If your injury occurs on the premises of a retail business or property owned or managed by another party, you may have a premises liability claim.
- Being thrown from a bicycle/motorcycle in a collision with another vehicle. If a driver hits you, you are particularly vulnerable riding on these small, light vehicles. Hitting the pavement in a motorcycle or bicycle accident caused by another motorist frequently leads to hand, wrist, and arm fractures, many of which are very serious.
- As a result of a pedestrian accident. Drivers are meant to yield to pedestrians, and when they don't, pedestrians can get seriously hurt. Impact from the pavement and/or one of the involved vehicles can cause a hand or wrist injury.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
If you or a loved one has suffered a hand or wrist injury as the result of someone else's negligence, a Santa Barbara injury attorney at our firm may be able to assist you. You deserve compensation for your pain and suffering, medical expenses, and other damages. Recovery from a wrist or hand injury is hard enough without worrying about financial loss. We will work hard to pursue just compensation.
At Andrade Law Offices, we offer free consultations, and don't collect a fee until you receive compensation. To learn more about your options following a hand or wrist injury caused by the fault of another party, contact us online or by phone.
Call our Santa Barbara law offices at (805) 962.4944 to get started.